A perfect dish for the summer!!!
- 200g (1-1/2 cups) raw rice
- 2-3 hot dogs or German-style wieners, thinly sliced (and/or cooked ham, cubed)
- 100g (3-1/2 oz) Emmenthal, Gruyère, Fontina or other Swiss cheese, cut into small cubes
- Mixed pickled and/or fresh vegetables and/or condiments of your choice, cut into small pieces, to taste (see Notes)
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Optional additions:
- Fresh lemon juice or white wine vinegar
- Chopped parsley or other herbs
- Boil the rice in abundant, well-salted water just until al dente, as you would pasta. The time will vary according to the rice (see instructions) but regular long grain rice should take about 15 minutes or so. As soon as the rice is done, run it under cold water in a colander to stop the cooking. Drain well for a minute or two, gently turning the rice once or twice with a rubber spatula to help it drain and prevent sticking.
- While the rice is cooking, slice the hot dogs and cut up the cheese, along withthe various veggies and other condiments of your choice (see below). If your wieners don’t come fully cooked, then simmer them before your slice them.
- Turn the rice into a large bowl, then add the hot dog slices (and ham, if using), cheese and veggies and condiments, mixing gingerly with a spatula. Season with a drizzle of olive oil, and a bit salt and pepper. Mix again, taste and repeat, mixing gently each time, until the salad is seasoned as you like it. Make sure not to overdo it with the salt—the rice should already be seasoned as it cooked, and the condiments are already salty.
- The salad can be eaten immediately, but it improves when made ahead and kept in the fridge, ideally at least an hour before and even overnight. Let the salad sit out for a few minutes to take the chill off before eating.