This is a very delicious lasagna! I’m so happy I made it. It will be something we enjoy for years to come!
Ready in 1h 35 mins
- 1(9 ounce) package no-boil lasagna noodles
- 1lb mild italian sausage
- 1medium onion, chopped
- 28ounces whole canned tomatoes (undrained)
- 12ounces tomato paste
- 2teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄4cup fresh basil, torn into small pieces
- 1⁄4teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 15ounces ricotta cheese
- 1egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley,chopped
- 1⁄2teaspoon sea salt
- 3⁄4cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- 4cups mozzarella cheese, grated
- Crumble Italian sausage into a large skillet. Brown sausage until no longer pink and drain onto paper towels. Wipe out skillet with paper towels. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to pan and heat until shimmering. Add onion and saute until translucent.
- Stir in the cooked Italian sausage, tomatoes (undrained), tomato paste, sugar, half of the basil and the pepper. Bring to boil then reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally and breaking up the tomatoes with the back of a spoon.
- In a small bowl blend ricotta, egg, parsley, Parmaigano-Reggiano and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Put a layer of noodles in a 9 X 13 pan, a layer of meat sauce, layer of ricotta mixture and a layer of the cheese then repeat all the layers twice more. Cover with foil.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 20 minutes more. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting and serving.