Needed: 1 or 2 large frying pans
Ingredients for Chicken:
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts fresh or defrosted, pounded thin
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 cups all-purpose flour, seasoned with salt and a pinch of pepper
4 large eggs, beaten with 2 tablespoons water and seasoned with salt
2 cups of good quality bread crumbs (Panko preferred)
1 cup pure olive oil, sunflower or safflower oil (no canola or soy oil)
1 pound fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan (Parmigiano-Reggiano preferred) substitutions can be: Grana Padano, or Pecorino Romano cheese
Fresh basil leaves or parsley (for a garnish)
Ingredients for Quick Tomato Sauce:
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves garlic, crushed
A few pinches of little sea salt or kosher salt to make a garlic paste
2 (28-oz) cans plum tomatoes and their juices, pureed in a blender
1 (16-oz) can crushed tomatoes 1 small can of tomato paste (approx 6 oz)
1 bay leaf Salt and pepper
Directions: Making the Tomato Sauce (Quick 50 Minute Recipe)
1. Heat a tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat in a large saucepan.
2. Add garlic and onions and cook until the onions are translucent (about 2-3 minutes).
3. Add the can of pureed tomatoes and also add the can of crushed tomatoes and mix.
4. Next add the can of tomato paste by scooping it out the paste. Keep the can and then add approx 4 ounces of water to the empty can and empty the remains into saucepan.
5. Add the bay leaf, a pinch of basil, with 4 or 5 pinches of salt and stir well.
6. Optional, add a few pinches of fresh parsley.
7. Bring to a light boil.
8. Reduce heat to the “lowest” setting and cover saucepan with top.
9. Cook for about 30 minutes then check to see is the sauce is well blended with all ingredients. Then stir from the bottom for about 30 seconds.
10. Add about 3 ounces of water if the sauce is getting too thick or dry. Cover the pot and cook on lowest setting approx for an additional 20 minutes.
11. Optional – season with salt and pepper to taste.
Directions: Making the Chicken
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F for at least 10 -15 minutes.
2. Season the chicken lightly on both sides with salt.
3. Dredge (coat) each breast separately in the flour and tap to get rid of off excess
4. Dip in the egg and then wait a couple seconds for any excess to drip off.
5. Dredge on both sides in the bread crumbs.
6. Divide oil between 2 large stainless steel frying pans if you have two pans. If using one pan save about half the oil for making your second batch.
7. Heat oil over high heat before adding chicken, but DO NOT let the oil smoke.
8. Add 2 chicken breasts to each pan and cook until golden brown on both sides (approx) 2 minutes on each side.
9. Transfer chicken to lasagna tray or baking sheet.
10. Top each breast with as much tomato sauce as you desire, then a spoon of grated parmesan cheese, and a few slices of mozzarella cheese with salt and pepper to taste.
11. Bake in the oven until the chicken is cooked well and the cheese is melted (approx 5 -10 minutes). If you do not pound the chicken breasts thing then you can cook a little longer.
12. Remove from the oven and let sit for 1 minute before serving.
13. Optional: Garnish with parsley leaves or any garnish you like.