This is my variation of a standard recipe. I like fresh basil and a little bit of lemon rind, so those are basically my only changes. This is a quick and easy soup with flavours that impress all.
- 250g extra-lean beef mince">250g extra-lean beef mince
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped continental flatleaf parsley
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 1 1/2 litres chicken stock
- 2 cups finely sliced chicory leaves (spinach may be substituted)
- rind of 1 lemon, grated
- 1/2 cup (85g) risoni (rice-shaped pasta), uncooked
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese for topping
Preparation:10min › Cook:15min › Ready in:25min
- Mix together the mince, egg, breadcrumbs, cheese, basil, parsley and spring onions; shape into 2cm balls.
- Pour stock into a large saucepan over high heat. When boiling, drop in meatballs. Stir in chicory leaves (or spinach), lemon rind and risoni. Return to a boil; reduce heat to medium. Cook at a slow boil for 10 minutes or until risoni is tender, stirring frequently. Serve sprinkled with cheese.