- 400g spaghetti">400g spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 red chilli, chopped
- 100g prawns, shelled and deveined">100g prawns, shelled and deveined
- 50g to 100g squid, cut into strips (optional)">50g to 100g squid, cut into strips (optional)
- 150g to 200g mixed seafood
- 200ml dry white wine
- 100g to 200g fresh mussels (optional)
- 220g cherry tomatoes, halved
- fresh basil, to taste
Prep:20min › Cook:30min › Ready in:50min
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil over a high heat. Once boiling, add the spaghetti and cook until al dente or as instructed on the packet. Drain
- Heat the olive oil in a large lidded deep frying pan. Add the garlic and chilli and cook and stir for 1 minute. Season the prawns and squid (if using squid) then add to the pan, along with the mixed seafood, and fry for 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Pour the wine into the frying pan add the mussels (if using) cover and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove the lid and discard any mussels that did not open. Add the cherry tomatoes and simmer for 2 to 4 minutes, till they have softened.
- Add the seafood back to the pan and sprinkle with basil, saving some for garnish. Cook and stir together until the prawns are pink throughout and the seafood pieces have an even colour throughout. Add cooked spaghetti, toss and heat through making sure it’s covered in the sauce. Divide the seafood spaghetti between 4 plates add extra basil and serve.
I have used the seafood selection usually found in the freezer in most supermarkets.
When buying mussels in shops, look for mussels with tightly closed shells, discard any that do not close when tapped – the mussels must be alive when you cook them. It is important to discard any mussels that do not open fully during cooking. Don’t overcook them otherwise they will become rubbery.