Serves: 9 -inch cake for 8-12 people
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Chilling time: 2 hours
24 packaged lady fingers
6 egg yolks
1 Lb. mascarpone cheese
1 1/2 cups strong espresso, cooled
1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate shavings, for garnish
3 tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. dark rum
1. In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks with sugar using an electric mixer for about 5 minutes or until the mixture is thick and pale.
2. Add the mascarpone and continue beating until mixture is smooth. Add a tablespoon of the espresso and combine.
3. In a shallow dish, pour the remaining espresso along with the rum. Then dip each ladyfinger into the dish for about 5 seconds each. Make sure that each ladyfinger is soaked but not too long for it to fall apart.
4. Place each ladyfinger on the bottom of a 9×13 inch (22×33 cm) baking dish.
5. Spread half of the mascarpone mixture on top of the ladyfingers. Then put another layer of soaked ladyfingers. Top this with the remaining mascarpone mixture.
6. Cover the dish with a plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. 7. Sprinkle the tiramisu with chocolate shavings just before serving.