This is a recipe for a traditional pesto made with basil, olive oil, pine nuts and Parmesan cheese. Try it on toasted sliced baguette, tossed through pasta or used as a quick topping for barbecued chicken, lamb or salmon.
- 125g) basil leaves">3 firmly packed cups (125g) basil leaves
- 4 cloves garlic
- 90g) grated Parmesan cheese">3/4 cup (90g) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup (125ml) olive oil
- 30g) pine nuts">1/4 cup (30g) pine nuts
- small handful chopped flat leaf parsley (optional)
Preparation:5min › Ready in:5min
- Combine basil, garlic, Parmesan cheese, olive oil and nuts in the bowl of a food processor or blender. Blend to a smooth paste. Add parsley if desired.
Store your pesto in a glass jar with a layer of olive oil on top – it will keep this way for longer in the refrigerator. When you want some pesto, simply drain off the olive oil.