Makes: 6 servings
6 egg yolks
1 cup sugar (organic)
1 + 1/4 cup mascarpone cream cheese
1 + 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
14 oz “Italian Lady Finger Cookies”
1 cup cold espresso coffee
1 TBSP cocoa powder for dusting
Optional 1/4 cup coffee flavored liquor Directions
1. Make the sabayon (which is the cream) by combining egg yolks and sugar in the top of a double boiler, over boiling water.
2. Reduce the heat to low, and cook for approx 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
3. Remove from the heat and whip the mixture until it thickens and is a lemon color.
4. Add the Mascarpone cream cheese to whipped egg yolk mixture and beat until combined.
5. In a separate bowl, whip the heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks form.
6. Next, gently fold the whipped cream into the mascarpone sabayon mixture and set aside.
7. Mix the cold espresso with the coffee liquor and dip the lady fingers into the mixture just long enough to get them wet.
DO NOT soak them or leave them in too long!
8. Arrange the lady fingers in the bottom of a 9 inch square baking dish.
9. Spoon half the mascarpone cream filling over the lady fingers.
10. Repeat process with another layer of lady fingers and cream (making a double layer).
11. Refrigerate at least 3-4 hours.
12. Dust with cocoa powder before serving.
13. Enjoy this famous Italian recipe with your favorite beverage.